Disarmament Diplomacy Issue No 89, Winter 2008
Nuclear Weapons Treaty: An Idea whose Time Has Come
Editorial, by Rebecca Johnson
Between Irrelevance and a New Era:
Report on the 2008 UN First Committee
by Michael Spies, including:
- Bringing Biologists on Board
Report from the 2008 Meeting of BWC Experts
by Kathryn McLaughlin
- Reaching a Tipping Point:
Strengthening BWC Confidence-Building Measures
by Filippa Lentzos
- In the News
- The United Nations and security in a nuclear-weapon-free world
- UK Debates on Nuclear Disarmament,
- A world without nuclear weapons, UK Foreign Secretary David Miliband, www.guardian.co.uk, 8 December 2008.
- Lifting the Nuclear Shadow: Creating the conditions for abolishing nuclear weapons, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, 4 February 2009.
- Preventing a New Age of Nuclear Insecurity, The Rt Hon William Hague MP, 23 July 2008.
- Sir Malcolm Rifkind, Foreign Affairs and Defence debate, House of Commons, 10 December 2008.
- Security and Liberty in a Globalised World, Liberal Democrat Policy Paper, September 2008, excerpt.
- Shared Destinies, IPPR Commission on National Security Interim Report, 27 November 2008, excerpts
- UK does not need a Nuclear Deterrent, Letter from Field Marshal Lord Bramall, General Lord Ramsbotham and General Sir Hugh Beach to the Times, 16 January 2009.
- President Sarkozy calls for Disarmament Debate
- Toward a nuclear-free world: a German view
- Contrasting US Perspectives,
- A New Beginning for Nuclear Diplomacy? Remarks of Senator Barack Obama, Chicago, 2 October 2008, excerpts
- Nuclear Deterrence, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, Speech at Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (Washington, D.C.), 28 October 2008, excerpts.
- Let's Commit to a Nuclear-Free World, Senator Dianne Feinstein, 3 January 2009
Executive Director and Editor: Rebecca Johnson
Deputy Director and Website Manager: Nicola Butler
Senior Associate: Carol Naughton
Assistant Editor: Henrietta Wilson
Cover design: Calverts Press
Cover photo, © REJ 2008, Partnership for disarmament, NGOs and governments in the CD Chamber.
Disarmament Diplomacy publishes reports and articles to stimulate debate on topical disarmament, security and arms control issues. The accuracy of information and views expressed are the sole responsibility of the author(s). No article or news analysis in Disarmament Diplomacy or on the Acronym website should be construed as representing the Acronym Institute for Disarmament Diplomacy or its Board or Funders.